All I remember is sitting on the coach and then nothing after that.

Mum wakes me up and tells me we got to pray Fajr at this mosque.
This leads to some questions.
1) How did I sleep for 8 hours straight on the coach?
2) Why does it take 8 hours?
3) Where the heck am I?

Mum tells me the driver’s lost and can’t find our hotel.
I wouldn’t normally bat an eyelid but for the small fact we are staying at the Hilton for the first night! How on earth do you not know where the Hilton is?

I get out and go make wudu. This masjid is really nice! It’s got a long back rest that runs along the front row. This encourages people to sit in the front row and read Quran. Might have to suggest this for me local back home!
I suddenly remember that I’ve left me phone on the coach. If I was back home I would have had to run and get it but here I don’t seem bothered. Very strange.

We finally arrive at the Hilton and drop our bags. I go on a little exploring mission and find a glass elevator so I take it for a spin. I want to know how high it can go and take it all the way to the top.
I’m petrified as I hate heights but it’s all worth it. I chuckle to myself thinking of Charlie and the glass elevator.
I see it! I see it! I see it in all its glory! There it is! There is the Ka'bah!
There are so few people doing tawaf it looks like a picture we have on the wall at home.
I run to find mum and tell her that we need to go now.

There was a second reason why this trip was so special and that was my mum has a brother who I last met when I was two years old.
He works in Saudi and he has travelled to meet us. We are just minutes away from meeting.
The look on mum’s face is priceless.

We meet him by Gate 1. It is such an emotional meeting for us all.
Mum is very protective over her brother for two reasons. First, she is the oldest of her siblings and the only sister. He is the youngest brother.
Second is that their mother died when my mum was seven years old and my uncle was a baby. Mum raised him and her two other brothers and had to drop out of school to look after the family as her dad was very ill also.

We walk in. Mum keeps her eyes closed and holds my hand till she is right in front of the Ka’bah before opening them.
If I was given nothing else in this life but to just look at the Ka’bah then that would be more than enough for me.
Here the true reflection of your soul will manifest.
Here is where you will find out so much about yourself.
Here is where it matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment